Wednesday, July 29, 2020

BEEF RENDANG RECIPE - Family's Secret Recipe Revealed

I am so excited to share this recipe with you, guys. This is to me one of the most delicious food in the world, Beef Rendang.  Now I am sharing with you my family's secret recipe that we have used for years, even in my parents restaurant back in the day. I love the complexity and the depth of the flavor. I know some of you are hindered from making this dish because of the ingredients and the long cooking process, but seriously, this worth to try. I hope you enjoy the recipe.



Ingredients


1 kg of beef chuck

Dry Spices :
1 tbs of coriander
8 cloves
1 nutmeg
3 cm of cinnamon
1 tsp ground cardamom

The Paste :
10 shallots (about 40 grams)
7 cloves of garlic ( around 30 grams)
2 lemongrass
35 grams of ginger
25 grams of galangal
7-8 kaffir lime leaves
125 grams of red chilies
4 bird's eye chilies

400 ml of coconut cream
3 - 4 tsp of salt
1 tsp pepper
1,5 - 2tbs
7 grams of turmeric leaf
water (About 1 - 1,5 liter )
vegetable oil (About 4 tbs)

optional : 750 grams of baby potatoes

* tsp = teaspoon, tbs = tablespoon

Instructions :

Step 1, Preparation
  • Cut the beef into 4 cm cubes
  • Roast the nutmeg, coriander,cinnamon, and cloves until the aroma is released, then process in a blender to make fine powder. then I add the cardamom powder, mix.
  • Separate the middle part of the lime leaves.
  • Peel the hard part of the lemongrass, then cut both ends, then cut them into small pieces
  • Cut the ginger and galangal into small pieces
  • Into your blender, put the garlic and shallots, prepared ginger, galangal, lemongrass, and lime leaves. The chilies, and some water. And process for a few minute until they become fine paste

Step 2, Cooking
  • Over medium heat, into a pan, pour some oil. When it's hot enough, put the paste and dry spices in. Cook for 4-5 minutes to release the aroma
  • Then add the coconut cream, and add some water, bring to a simmer
  • Add the beef in and then add salt, pepper, sugar, and the turmeric leaf. Cook on medium high to bring it to a simmer, stir occasionally.
  • Once it boils, reduce the heat to medium low. Cook this until the beef is fork tender, and the sauce is completely reduced which will take about 3 hours.
  • Add the baby potatoes in about halfway of the cooking time. It will allow time for the potatoes to cook and to absorb the flavor.
  • Stir more frequently as the water reduces.
  • If the sauce reduces faster than beef softening, add more water or lower the heat.
  • Once the sauce is reduced, beef is fork tender, and the potatoes are cooked, means you're done.

Step 3, serving.
  • Remove the turmeric leaves to serve.
  • You can let it cool and and serve the next day for the best result.
  • You can serve it with some white rice.

Notes :
  • If you don't like it too spicy, just use the red chilies. Bird's eye chilies are used to make it spicier.
  • You can substitute shallots with red onion
  • If you can't find turmeric leaves, just add about 2 cm of turmeric
  • I usually store this in the freezer, it can last for weeks. Just thaw and add some water to heat it up Cook over medium heat until it's reduced.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi! I'm Namira, the cook and creator of "Food by Namira". I was born and raised in Indonesia and currently live in Jakarta. In my blog, I would like to introduce you to the food that represents my heritage,which is Indonesian Food, and also other types of food that are special to me, so you can make and enjoy them. This blog is not going to be exclusively about Indonesian food, but if you want to know more about it, Definitely, this is the place! I will also put some substitute ingredients (if any) to make it easier if you don't live here in South East Asia. I really hope that enjoy my recipes. Thank you for cooking with Food By Namira!

COCONUT PINEAPPLE CAKE RECIPE

    Coconut Pineapple cake is an excellent idea for Sunday Baking. It's a combination of some tropical ingredients. One of my personal ...